Quote Originally Posted by hazcat View Post
There's something that is very important that I don't often seen mentioned when doing IM injections and that's to completely relax the muscle that you're injecting. All weight should be taken off of the, glute, leg, or arm being injected. If it's the delt let your arm dangle and don't tighten it when you inject. It's tough not to because it's practically a reflex to jump in anticipation of the needle going in but this will cause a hard knot and pain where you inject. If you're injecting a glute, and in a standing position, place all your weight on the opposite leg and hang onto something to keep your balance. Let the leg dangle or barely touch your toe to the ground but be certain your glute is relaxed. When injecting the thigh you should sit down and bend your knee so that your thigh muscle is extended. This is one of the toughest muscles to keep relaxed when injecting. You'll find more vets that won't inject their quads because they are practically crippled by quad injects. You have to mentally prepare yourself and concentrate on not allowing the muscle to contract. It gets easier and easier as you practice this technique. You'll soon find you can inject anywhere and nearly pain free.

Haz
good post. for quads ive been sitting on the bed with my back against the head board. with my leg completely straight but totally relaxed. i still get bad pain a few days later. and lingers on forever.
would it do better if i had my leg bent when injecting like you said? im usually injecting 3mls into quads. maybe thats too much in 1 spot for quads?
but if i put in half, then what do i do? grab a fresh needle and move 3 or 4 inches away from the last hole?