Anabolic Steroids - Steroid Forums
Pin it Share on Tumblr

buy steroids - roid-shop.com

Thread: Deca-use may hide tuberculosis

Default Deca-use may hide tuberculosis

Steroids users may be more at risk of contracting tuberculosis (TB). If they already have the disease, they run the risk that doctors might not pick up on the fact. The tests that doctors do to detect the early stages of TB don’t work on steroids users.

We base this statement on a medical case study from Venezuela, recently published in the Open Access publication Journal of Medical Case Reports. In the article the authors describe the case of a 31-year-old steroids user who had been running a fever for two weeks.

He was sweating and was out of breath. His lungs were full of fluid and that was making breathing difficult.

Before the man became ill he had been using steroids. He injected himself with 50 mg of nandrolone decanoate daily – the quality stuff from Organon, if we are to believe the article.

The doctors suspected that the man had TB. Tuberculosis is a bacterial infection caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis, shown in the photo below. Two million people die from TB each year. That sounds like a lot, but things could be a lot worse: a third of the world’s human population carries M. tuberculosis. So three cheers for the human immune system.

When the doctors examined the guy, their tests showed no signs of M. tuberculosis infection. They did a number of tests, including measuring the concentration of the enzyme adenosine deaminase in the man’s lung fluid. If you have TB, you have increased concentrations of this enzyme. But according to the test results, the guy wasn't sick at all. So the doctors pumped his lungs clean and sent him home.

Four months later the doctors examined the man again. He was much sicker and had lost five kilos in weight. This time round, the signs were clear. It was TB. The man got medicine and recovered. Just in time.

Why, the doctors asked themselves, hadn’t their tests picked up the infection earlier?

Because the guy was using steroids, they think.

Nandrolone decanoate neutralises the production of interferon-gamma. This is the protein in charge of the immune cells that function as the first-line defence when pathogens like M. tuberculosis try to infect the body. Interferon-gamma also stimulates cells to produce more adenosine deaminase – which is the biomarker that doctors look for as a sign of TB.

If doctors encounter someone with TB-like symptoms, but for whom the tests give no indication of TB bacteria infection, then the doctors should check whether they are dealing with a steroids user, the article concludes.

Sources:
    J Med Case Reports. 2009 Jan 28;3(1):30.

I'm looking to expand research on the topic ...
    someone would have something in addition?

Hugs

Why you trying to rain on my parade...

Yeah that blows, no more Deca for me or at least till cycle 3.

I'm not concerned. TB is not a huge issue in the US for one and it is completely treatable. The example given in the article is of a patient in a high risk country with substandard medical treatment. Plus the guy was sick, they knew he was sick and basically did a few test and let things go for months before examining him again. This lends credibility to my argument of substandard medical care. Could this happen in the US or other modern civilizations, sure but less likely IMO.

Thanks for posting the article though.
    The statements contained herein have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The consumer comments and experiences relayed herein may not be typical. Your experience may vary.

Disclaimer: The advice I provide is based on experience and/or research and should not be considered professional medical advice. It is best to confirm any potential use of a drug or possible medical condition with a licensed doctor.