THE SHIFT-DIET

"When you see a worthy person, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy person then examine your inner self." -CONFUCIOUS

I think over the past couple of years the idea of cycling or in other words shifting your calories/carbs/fat/protein, really got the better part of my thoughts, hence the reason I wrote the Protein/Carb cycling manual. I looked all over the place, never finding an adequate diet or solution to cycling many of the different macronutrients available to us in our daily bodybuilding regimes. I do take into consideration the facts of life, being: people do not like to try new things, nor do people enjoy change. Consequently, we still have so many old values in today's society, which, by the way, I could rant about for ages, but I'll spare you the time and the monotony of the concept.

The Shift Diet is a very optimum way for people to shed fat, while maintaining current muscle mass. For, the Shift Diet includes in itself many different types of nutritional profiles invented to lose that unwanted fat. Keep in mind, I do not label the Shift Diet as the universally preeminent diet for everyone's goals, but I do see it as a magnificent new way towards achieving maximum fat-loss, if done correctly.

Let's move on to see the 3 stages needed for the Shift-Diet to work adequately. First stage, a carb-up for 16 hours with +BMR (basal-metabolic-rate) calories (bolus amount of carbs w/ protein). Second stage, carb-depletion with BMR calories (low carbs/moderate fat/moderate protein). Third stage, moderate fat/moderate protein, near 0 carbs with -BRM calories.

Stage 1: (1 day)
Usually done on a day following a low calorie stage. Consists of a HIGH-GI carbs for 6 hours and LOW-GI carbs for 10 hours. Additionally, a fast digesting protein like whey or even casein should be added in order to achieve a maximum state of anabolism.

How to set-up Stage 1: (6 meals…1 meal every 2.5 hours)
1)Set protein intake at 1g/lb of bodyweight.
2)Set intake of carbs. at 2.5g/lb of bodyweight
3)Set fat intake at 0.3g/lb of bodyweight
EXAMPLE FOR 200lb. person:
1) 200 x 1= 200g protein a day
2) 200 x 2.5= 500 g carbs a day
3) 200 x 0.3= 60 g fat a day
EXAMPLE MEAL PLAN: (200lb. person)
Meal 1-2: 100g carbs from liquid glucose polymers (high-gi) like dextrose or maltodextrin carb powder w/ 50 g protein…minimal fat (near 0)
Meal 2-6: 75 g solid (low-gi) carbs like pasta, yams, beans, brown-rice w/ 25g protein w/ ¼ cup walnuts

Stage 2: (4 days)
1)Set daily calorie intake at 12cal/lb of bodyweight.
2)Set protein intake at 0.7 g/pound of bodyweight. Protein has 4cal/gram.
3)Set fat intake at 1g/pound of bodyweight. Fat has 9cal/gram.
4)Set carb intake at no more then 10 carbs/day. Carbs have 4cal/gram.
EXAMPLE FOR 200lb. person:
1) 200 x 12= 2400 cal/day
2) 200 x 0.7= 140g protein/day
3) 200 x 1.0= 200g fat/day
4) 10g carbs (40cal)
EXAMPLE MEAL PLAN: (200lb person..BMR=2400cal)
EFA: flaxseed oil, sesamese seed oil, sunflowerseed oil, grapeseed oil, olive oil, peanut oil, canola oil
Meal 1:
3 whole eggs
1 piece bacon
1 tbsp. Flaxseed oil
Cal: 345 Carbs: ~3 Fat: 29.5 Protein: 20

Meal 2:
3oz. Chuck steak
1 tbsp. Grape-seed oil (or Flaxseed)
Cal: 480 Carbs: 0 Fat: 40 Protein: 22

Meal 3:
20 g protein mix (whey, casein)
2 tbsp. Flaxseed oil (or any other EFA choice from above)
Cal: 340 Carbs: 0 Fat: 29 Protein: 20

Meal 4:
3 whole eggs
1 slice Swiss cheese
1 tbsp. EFA (flaxseed oil)
Cal: 420 Carbs: 5 Fat: 34 Protein: 22

Meal 5:
4.0 oz. Pork sausage
1 tbsp. Flaxseed oil
Cal: 440 Carbs: 0 Fat: 42.5 Protein: 14

Meal 6: (close to bedtime)
40 g protein mix (whey, casein)
2 tbsp. Flaxseed oil (or any other EFA choice from above)
Cal: 420 Carbs: 0 Fat: 29 Protein: 40

Totals:
Calories: ~2430
Carbs: 5 grams
Fat: 204 grams
Protein: 138

Stage 3: (2 days)
1)Set calories at 9cal/pound of bodyweight.
2)Set protein intake at 0.7grams/pount of bodyweight. Protein has 4cal/gram.
3)Set fat intake at 0.7 grams/pound of bodyweights. Fat has 9cal/gram.
Note: In practice people usually end up with a 1:1 (protein/fat) gram ratio.
EXAMPLE: (200lb. person)
1) 200 x 9 = 1800 cal a day
2) 200 x 0.7= 140 grams of protein a day.
3) 200 x 0.7 = 140 grams of fat a day.

These protein/fat ratios don't give you much choice of food. I usually tend to do a simple yet effective technique, pioneered initially by the T-mag team with the fat-fast diet. Which is: 1tbsp of flaxseed oil w/ 1 scoop of whey protein or casein (or mix). Divided into 8-9 times a day. This not only tends to keep me full, but also has quiet efficient properties in keeping your metabolic rate humming along smoothly due to the frequency of meals. I do not see muscle loss as a possibility because protein intake is quiet adequate to maintain muscle mass.

Schedule of the Shift-Diet: (4 week plan)
Stage 1=S1
Stage 2=S2
Stage 3=S3

DAY......WEEK1...WEEK2...WEEK3...WEEK4
Monday.....S1.....S3......S1......S1
Tuesday....S2.....S3......S3......S2
Wednesday.S2,,,,,,,S1.....S3......S2
Thursday..S2.......S2.....S2......S2
Friday....S2.......S2.....S2......S2
Saturday..S3.......S2.....S2......S3
Sunday....S3.......S2.....S2......S3

On Week 5 you have two options:
1) Start Shift cycle over
2) Run another diet-50% protein/20% carbs/30% fat is a good example.

I would recommend having a full 2 day carb-up after 4 weeks. Try eating 1 day of my example carb-up from stage 1 and a second day with ALL log-gi carbs. Use the same carb/protein/fat ratios for day 2 as day 1 (carb-up) just change the high-gi carbs to low-gi carbs:
Low-GI carbs: oatmeal, brown-rice, yams, beans, sweet-potato , pasta, veggies

TRAINING/CARDIO:
The main concern with the Shift-Diet is muscle loss. Thus, I advocate training/cardio only on the 4 days of Stage 2. The rest of the day are usually days off.
SAMPLE 4 DAY TRAINING/CARDIO SPLIT:
Day 1:
Chest, Back, (upper-lower)
-30 min low-intensity cardio post-workout (walking up an incline on a treadmill)
Day 2:
Shoulders, Arms (tri's-bi's), Abs
-20min low-intensity cardio post-workout
Day 3:
-10 min low-intensity cardio pre-workout
Legs (quads, hams, glutes), Calfs
- 20 min low-intensity cardio post-workout
Day 4:
45 min - 60 min medium-intensity cardio (little higher then day 1-3) AM on an empty stomach
(right after you get out of bed)

SUPPLEMENTS:
PPA stack (Mass Quantities) or AdipoKinetix
Creatine (optional)
Ephedrine
Multi Vitamins(MV)/Multi Minerals(MM)
Vitamin C
FIBER -soluble or any other form
Sodium 500mg
Potassium 1000mg
Magnesium 300 mg.
Calcium appx. 1000 mg./day

HOW TO TAKE THEM:
-Take MV and MM two times a day (recommended dose), one in the morning and one in the afternoon (around 2-3pm)
-Take Vitamin C 1000mg-3000mg a day split into 3 doses…morning/noon/evening
-Take Sodium/Potassium/Magnesium/Calcium all in the morning upon awaking.
-Take each 1-2 pills AdipoKinetix (or Mass Quantities PPA) with 8mg-25mg of ephedrine. 2-3 times a day. (depending on weight)--Beta receptor stimulation (EC) + Alpha receptor inhibition (Yohimbe) = greater total fat burning effect
WARNING: Combining AdipoKinetix (or MassQuantities PPA) with Ephedrine can cause large increases in heart rate and blood pressure only in some individuals. Caution is definitely advised. Not all people experience this problem, in fact very few in that manner.
-Take Fiber supplementation 2 times a day…once in the morning, and once before bed
Note: I do not refer to creatine as a necessary supplement while running the Shift Diet, it's purely optional.
-Take Creatine (optional) 10g pre-workout, 15g post-workout, and 10 g before bed. Although, you don't get the benefit of daily insulin transport of creatine; you do have another option, which is not quiet effective as insulin transport but is better then nothing, via intestinal wall. This way, not all creatine will be ingested but surely you'll get at least 20-30% efficiency which is undoubtedly better then nothing.

SAMPLE LOW-CARB RECIPE: By: Sheena (EliteFitness Member)
Low-Carb recipe by: Sheena
The Chicken recipe.

Box of Shitake Mushrooms
2 cloves of garlic sliced very thin.
Half a pack of Feta cheese ****ped into little pieces or crumbled in.
Small Pack of bacon ****ped into tiny pieces.
EV Olive Oil
4 Large Chicken breasts seasoned with salt & pepper.

Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees

In a pan, slowly fry the sliced garlic in the oil, try not to burn too much.

Then add the Mushrooms and fry till they begin to shrink, then add the
****ped bacon.

When the bacon begins to brown and both items are almost done, then add the
Feta whilst still stir frying it will melt in to the other stuff (oh my g-d
it tasted like heaven).

Then slit the raw breasts on a ****ping board, in the middle, like you're
making them into pockets to stuff them. Then stuff them with the hot mixture
using a spoon. Lay the breasts side by side in an oven dish and drizzle with
Olive oil.

Cook for 45-50 mins.

They kick ass!
------------end of recipe--------------