Anabolic Steroids - Steroid Forums
Pin it Share on Tumblr

buy steroids - roid-shop.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! This is important to all women...

Tarzana Guest

Default HELP! This is important to all women...

My research for an article I'm writing, "The Arcing of Life: Athletes in Menopause," has turned up a fascinating but frightening possibility. Listen up ladies! This one is a real head-turner; please stay tuned...

PREFACE: No formal research has yet been done to examine the effects of menopause on athleticism. So far, studies have only examined it the other way around; in other words, "How does athleticism and/or exercise affect menopause?"

I'm trying to learn how menopause specifically (versus aging in general) impacts the performance of women who considered themselves "athletic" at the onset of menopause. I have uncovered an astonishing possibility, and have already gathered SOME anecdotal evidence that supports the following notion.

HERE IT IS: There is a strong, logical possibility that being "athletic" or extremely fit, strong and lean at the onset of menopause will significantly INCREASE one's symptoms and problems at menopause such as hot flashes, loss of energy and strength, etc etc. This is not to say that exercise itself is contraindicated during menopause. Quite the opposite has been proven. Nevertheless, it may be vitally important for an athletic woman to be mentally and emotionally prepared for a much more difficult menopause than her obese coach-potato peers will experience.

NEED HELP: I need to interview menopausal women who considered themselves "athletic" or "extremely fit and strong" at the onset of menopause. If you know anyone who fits that description, please discuss the nature of my research with them and request their permission to be interviewed (via phone, email, AIM or MSN Messenger--whatever it takes.) Contact me by PM please if you are able to refer anyone to me.

Thanks so much.

I would love to assist in your research Tarzana...but I dont know of any women that fit the description....but if I do I will definitely let you know.

Also Tarzana...I have a question I would like to PM you about and get your input on please.

McK

I might know someone i'll let you know in a few days Tarzana.
    "Using no way as way, Having no limitation as limitation" -Bruce Lee

<embed src="http://www.gdesigns.addr.com/b4e.swf" width="280" height="75" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" quality="high"></embed>

Tarzana Guest

Karma for both of you...thanks.

Tarzana Guest

The first half of the article is ready for revision. The second half is awaiting input from others. In drafting the first part, I was able to clarify two questions to which I need answers from other women: 1) How has menopause affected your athleticism? 2)As an athletic woman, how have you felt during menopause?

I don't know any women approaching menopause who are athletically fit. That's kind of a scary statement, actually. Even in my generation (I'm 33), I know very few women who actively train - and most of them are from the boards.
    JJ
    NSCA-CSCS
    [URL=http://www.eastcoastgold.org] East Coast Gold Weightlifting Club[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.nabba.com] NABBA USA[/URL]

Tarzana Guest

Originally posted by jjfigure
    I don't know any women approaching menopause who are athletically fit. That's kind of a scary statement, actually. Even in my generation (I'm 33), I know very few women who actively train - and most of them are from the boards.
    That's one of the issues I'm addressing in the article. It IS scarey. That's why I've been so blindsided by the symptoms. Who was around to warn me of what would happen when I had my first hot flash under a squat bar? Nobody.

Just 8 years ago, when I first started lifting weights, the "freeweight room" was a separate room in the gym that was understood to be for men only. The "girls" were expected to stick with the Cybex machines, but most of them didn't use those either--they did "Step class" and went home. When the women first started going into the men's freeweight room, their presence was frequently resented. Things have changed, and newer gyms have moved away from the designated "freeweight room" layout. Even though there are plenty of women lifting freeweights now, very very few are over 50.

Default Re: HELP! This is important to all women...

Originally posted by Tarzana

HERE IT IS: There is a strong, logical possibility that being "athletic" or extremely fit, strong and lean at the onset of menopause will significantly INCREASE one's symptoms and problems at menopause such as hot flashes, loss of energy and strength, etc etc. This is not to say that exercise itself is contraindicated during menopause. Quite the opposite has been proven. Nevertheless, it may be vitally important for an athletic woman to be mentally and emotionally prepared for a much more difficult menopause than her obese coach-potato peers will experience.
    Tarzana, can you elaborate on being mentally & emotionally ready? Do women in this category realize these proven studies show they will have a more difficult time during that period of change? I know this is new to me. I'm very interested to hear more about this. Thus, I will try find ya a woman to interview & send her your way.

Tarzana Guest

Default Re: Re: HELP! This is important to all women...

Originally posted by MsBiatch
    Tarzana, can you elaborate on being mentally & emotionally ready? Do women in this category realize these proven studies show they will have a more difficult time during that period of change? I know this is new to me. I'm very interested to hear more about this. Thus, I will try find ya a woman to interview & send her your way.
    The "proven studies" show that exercise is beneficial for women in menopause. What has never been studied is how athletic women fare at menopause compared to the general population.

It has been speculated, however, that athletic women might experience more of the three main symptoms of menopause (hot flashes, loss of strength, and emotional turmoil) than the general population. This makes sense only because body fat "takes over" when the ovaries shut down--obese women continue to produce more estrogen and experience less menopausal stress, relatively speaking.

Hot flashes are poorly understood. It is often thought that a woman in menopause should avoid very INTENSE exercise to reduce hot flashes. (This isn't to say, "Don't exercise.") An athlete isn't going to DO that. She's going to get right back under the squat bar. Hence, the number and severity of her hot flashes are likely to exceed those of the little-pink-dumbbell crowd.

With regard to loss of strength, a menopausal athlete has relatively more to lose than other women! Male athletes typically lose strength gradually after the age of 35. Women however, CAN actually continue to peak well into their 40s, with a dramatic plunge in strength at menopause. This phenomenon is known but has been poorly documented thus far. Her rapid loss in strength can be heartbreaking for an athlete, which leads to the third main symptom of menopause, emotional stress. Athletic women are accustomed to being in control of their bodies. It is speculated that the loss of control at menopause would be relatively more stressful to an athlete than to a woman who has never pushed her body to the same extent.

I need to find as many athletic, menopausal women as I can to prepare the second part of my article. This forum is only one source through which I'm looking. (Most of all, you people are my sounding board--bless you!) Nevertheless, if you know anyone who should be interviewed, please send them my way. I'm passionate about this. There are very few menopausal athletes! These questions haven't been answered because until recently there weren't enough female athletes old enough to care! Shoot--when I was in high school, the only organized sports for girls were synchronized swimming and cheerleading.

Hugs

coolgal Guest

well it is something I've thought about...at my age I'm prob not too far off from it.....

Cutie