Anabolic Steroids - Steroid Forums
Pin it Share on Tumblr

buy steroids - roid-shop.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypertrophy-Specific Training (HST)?

Default Hypertrophy-Specific Training (HST)?

Anyone try Hypertropy-Specific Training? I'm currently trying it out, I'm only into the second phase and not really seeing much results other than lifting heaver, but then I'm not sure I couldn't have lifted heavier doing what I was doing before.

Here's some info on HST:
    http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

I'm currently 165lbs and according to my scale I'm at 21% bf, though I think that I'm lower than that. I haven't really been gaining much as far as the scale goes, in fact the last week I've lost 4 lbs, but I think I can contribute that to IBS and going back to being more strict about low carb.

My current goal is to gain around 5 lbs of muscle and get my bf to around 20% according to the scale. My bigger goal is to gain around 15 lbs of muscle be around 15% bf (I gotta start somewhere).

I'm fairly certain I can achieve this, but I really haven't had much sucess. I'm betting that I'm not eating enough.
    Here is my eating log:
    http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=mle%5Fii

Thanks,
    Mike

You are definitely not eating enough.You should have at least 200g of protein a day,and 300g would be better.The training is sound,but more food is in order if you want to grow.Gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time is difficult.If you haven't looked at the Carnivore Diet,check it out.

I bet you're right, I had this nagging feeling in the back of my head that I wasn't eating enough to gain. I guess I'm just not used to eating that much food, I'm always pretty full as it is.

Do sources of protein matter that much? Like should I just consume more whey protein or should I concentrate more on real food, or a bit of both?

From messages in the forums here it sounds like I might want to concentrate on loosing body fat first. Is that a good idea or do you think that matters?

Thanks again,
    Mike

i am actually in the middle of an article about HST. it is good for begginners & as a maintenance phase (just to maintain/not bulk). i will use this between bulking phases for 2 reasons. 1) you cant be on a bulking routine 100% of the time- too much stress on the body & joints for me. 2) its good to change routines & when i go back to bulking my body gets a good shock & i get good results.
    but i refined the hst routine to upper body one day / lower body the next & added more sets to all the exercises. i need my warm up sets .
    i will trade off hst to maintain only, my bulking routine & a true rest pause routine

Quote Originally Posted by mle_ii
    I bet you're right, I had this nagging feeling in the back of my head that I wasn't eating enough to gain. I guess I'm just not used to eating that much food, I'm always pretty full as it is.

Do sources of protein matter that much? Like should I just consume more whey protein or should I concentrate more on real food, or a bit of both?

From messages in the forums here it sounds like I might want to concentrate on loosing body fat first. Is that a good idea or do you think that matters?

Thanks again,
    Mike
    To gain weight,you have to have a calorie surplus,to lose,a deficit.That's why I would recommend the carnivore diet.You can lose fat,without losing muscle,and a beginner might even gain a little if they eat a lot on the weekend.At any rate,after 8 weeks,you will definitely be more muscular.All proteins are not equal,a variety is a good idea.Vegetable proteins,ie.peanut butter,are not as "complete" as meat and whole eggs.I personally use milk and egg protein powder,as I feel whey is a cheap and ineffective protein,relatively speaking.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by mtex
    i am actually in the middle of an article about HST. it is good for begginners & as a maintenance phase (just to maintain/not bulk).
    mtex, I'm curious about your comments. From what I have read thus far about HST it sounds like it's all for bulk, not just for begginners or as a maintainence phase. What makes you say that it is? Not being defensive just curious. One of the problems that I see with HST is that it is for bulk and that strength training might be weakened on this plan.

Though I would probably be a beginner to the majority of the people here I have lifted lots before. My guess is that I didn't eat enough protein as SYL says. (Thanks for the feedback SYL) I'm going to try to add some more protein sources. Trying to eat more meat, but this gets expensive and more difficult than fast proteins like powders.

I have another 3 weeks or so for this first trial of HST. I'll post my results ( how ever lame. ) I haven't measured myself since I started this HST but my wife says she sees a difference, to me I look like I might be more defined, but I don't really see any more mass added and the scales seem to be saying the same thing. But I know not to trust the BF% on scales. I plan on doing a caliper measurement this week at the place I work out to get a better idea about where I am. Doing lo carb and getting electrical impedence measurements for BF don't seem to go well together.

Another somewhat related question. What are some good sources for protein in the snack type food? I was eating peperoni sticks and jerky, but I noticed how high the sodium is in those and how high the carbs are on the jerkey, so they're probably not the best source. Basically I'm looking for a source that's good that's portable like peperoni or jerky is. Perhaps I can make my own or find a low sodium version somewhere.

SYL, I'll take a look at doig the carnivore diet. Thanks!

i just wrote a small, to the point , hst article. scroll down the forum a little. hope it helps.

& yes, diet is the key

Yes,protein is expensive,which is what drives people to use whey.But if you consider that up to 50% of whey can be converted to glucose(sugar),it doesn't seem such a bargain.Plus it provokes an insulin response,not good on a low carb diet.The protein I recommend for those on a budget is the aussie cassinate from Protein factory.It's $6 lb.That's the equivalent of $3 lb for whey,according to my math.If you have access to a cooler or fridge,you could make "meat cookies"(hamburger patties)or even melt some cheese on top for "glazed meat cookies".Or hard-boiled eggs.Processed foods have sodium,sugar,nitrites,etc.Not the most healthy thing.Eating can be the most difficult part of all this,but too many people think of all the reasons why they CAN'T do something.Sucessful people think of HOW they CAN...

"meat cookies" I like that. Yeah, I seem to be pretty good sometimes at thinking of reasons why I can't, gotta work on the can. Hmmm... that doesn't sound right. LOL

Thanks again,
    Mike